Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists over there at The Broke and the Bookish. I'd love to share my lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
I think this is a really interesting one this week. I know what I like to read about and there are definitely plenty of authors out there who like to write about general things I like and things I'm interested in but if I had to be very specific, here are the things on my reading Wishlist.
1. Glasgow. I would like to read more chick lit novels which are set in Glasgow. There are plenty set in the Scottish countryside, in London, or Edinburgh but I love Glasgow so I want a heroine who lives in the west end and generally lives and shops in Glasgow.
2. The London Underground. There are some books which feature this in passing or as a means to an end but there aren't enough books which feature the London Underground more heavily. I'm a massive fan of the tube map and have become much more familiar with using the underground regularly since I have moved closer to it so I would like to read more about it.
3. Primary school teachers. I've read several books featuring some amazing primary school teachers and I'd love to read some more!
4. Guinea pigs. I have two guinea pigs as a let even though I definitely fit into the age group of most of my favourite chick lit heroines. I would like to see more chick lit heriones with guinea pigs or hamsters as pets.
5. Women who drink whisky. I'm a big whisky fan (single malt of course) and there aren't enough women in fiction who go to whisky tastings or receive a lovely single malt for valentines day, I think this should change!
6. Books. I love reading books about books groups and people who read lots of books but I would like to see more of it, perhaps from an author's perspective or a blogger's...
7. Characters who move more than once. There are plenty of books which feature characters moving to a new home but the reality for most of us isn't that we move just once, it's that we move a handful of times, especially in those post uni years. In the past few years I have moved up and down the country, in and out of parents and boyfriends houses, in and out of flats of my own. I'd like to see more characters doing this.
8. Shopping malls. The arcade now features a fabulous shopping mall and Milly Johnson often has her character go shopping in meadow hall but we don't really get to see white people do when they shop there. I'd love to see some characters in some of the malls of the world that I have shopped in, I think that would be really fun!
9. Going to Disneyland. A random one but why not tell me about someone visiting Disney land, perhaps the character is Disney obsessed, maybe she is stalking prince Eric, who kings, could be fun!
10. Books about people like me. I've stated before that I'm a lazy reader and as you can see from this list, most of my wished for items are things that I'm involved in on a daily basis, but overall that's what I want, to read books about people like me doing things I've done or always wanted to do.
So there you have it. Let me know if I think there are any books that fit the bill for me, or if you agree with any of my choices, and if there are any authors reading this, feel free to write any of these wishes into your novel (only kidding!)