Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists over there at The Broke and the Bookish. I'd love to share my lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Ok I'm going to divide this list into 5 of each because I think that's the best way to do this. I love reading romantic books and so this is the perfect time of year for me, loads of romance titles around and lots of romance to be had. There are SOME drawbacks to reading romance however and I shall outline 5 of these below as well as five things I love about romantic novels.
1. I love the escapism of romantic novels, being taken away from real life and not knowing what will happen, that's true of all books as well but being swept up in a new romance is true escapism!
2. I love the men. Writers can create the perfect man on the page, whether he exists or not, this is fantastic.
3. The horror of bad dates. Everyone has bad dates, not everyone talks about them. Seeing them on the page is very reassuring.
4. The first kiss. You will only have one first kiss but by reading romantic novels, you can have hundreds of them over and over again and each one of them different, excellent!
5. When the girl totally rescues the guy. I love when a love story has a twist and ther are so many book around right now where the girl does just as much rescuing as the traditional male character would do. Feminism exists even in the world of romance novels.
Now for the things I don't like so much...
6. Insta love. I really don't know who does like insta love. I've rushed into some relationships in my time but really some of these characters get together in the bat of an eyelash.
7. Cheating spouses. You get a lot of these in romance novels and having been cheated on myself, I really can't stand it!
8. The whole, I can't call him until he calls me thing. This is the antidote to point 5 above. I can't stand when girls are all like, oh he doesn't like me because I haven't heard from him. Well call him yourself then and find out, you have your own power of thought don't you?!
9. Cross wires. Now this may sound a little ambiguous but I really hate when characters get crossed wires and so miss vital moments of their blossoming relationship becaus they think the other one isn't into them or that they said something bad about them or that they're already married. We as the reader know what's really going on so why can't they wake up and smell the coffee too, again, just call him yourself!
10. Whe then best friend doesn't get the girl. This is still happening far to often in the world of romance novels. There's a male friend and they're always there for the main female character and they've got a little bit of a crush but they know it'll never happen and in the end these guys are normally like 'I just want you to be happy, I'll be fine' when we totally want them to get the girl too-so frustrating!
So threes my list, sorry there's no pictures this week but I was so empassioned by talking about love and hate the I didn't have time for pictures. I'll have more next week I promise!